How to Set and Achieve your Wellness Goals
When it comes to wellness goals, there are a few things that are important to keep in mind. Whether you’re looking to set your wellness goals for your personal life or professional life, these guidelines will help you achieve them successfully.
In this guide, we will discuss the following to help you set and achieve your wellness goals successfully:
- What is a goal?
- What are the different types of goals?
- How to set goals that are realistic and achievable
- Tips for achieving your goals
What is a Goal?
A goal is defined as something that you want to achieve or accomplish.
Goals can be either short-term or long-term.
Short-term goals are typically things that you want to achieve within a year.
While long-term goals are things that you want to achieve over a period of time that is greater than a year.
As stated on Wikipedia the “Goal Setting theory has been called one of the most important theories in organizational psychology”.
What are the Different Types of Goals?
There are four different types of goals:
- Process goals: These goals focus on the steps or actions that you need to take in order to achieve something. For example, if your goal is to lose weight, a process goal could be to exercise for 30 minutes every day.
Outcome goals: These goals focus on the results or end-goal that you want to achieve. Using the same example, an outcome goal could be to lose 5kgs in three months.
Performance goals: These goals focus on how well you need to do in order to achieve something. For example, if you’re training for a marathon, a performance goal could be to run 4km in 2 hours.
Behaviour goals: These goals focus on changing your behaviours in order to achieve something. For example, if you want to quit smoking, a behaviour goal could be to not smoke for one week.
How to Set Goals that are Realistic and Achievable
Now that we know what a goal is and the different types of goals, it’s time to learn how to set goals that are realistic and achievable. When setting goals, it’s important to keep the following in mind:
If you set goals that are too high, you’re likely to get discouraged and give up.
On the other hand, if you set goals that are too low, you won’t be challenged and you won’t see any progress.
When setting goals, it’s important to make sure that they are realistic and achievable.
- Set measurable goals: goals should be quantifiable so you can track your progress. In the example above, you would know that you’re on track to reach your goal if you lose 0.5kgs per week.
Set achievable goals: goals should be something that you can realistically achieve. If you’re starting from zero, setting a goal to “run a marathon” in one month is probably not realistic. However, setting a goal to “run parts of the way” during practice and work our way up to running the whole way within 4 months.
Tips for Achieving your Goals
Now that we know how to set goals, let’s talk about how to achieve them.
Create a plan of action: Once you have your goals set, it’s important to create a plan of action with steps that you need to take, to stay on track.
- Make goals specific: Vague goals are more difficult to achieve than specific goals. Make sure your goals are clear and concise.
- Set a deadline: Giving yourself a timeline will help you stay focused and motivated.
- Measure your progress: Tracking your progress is a great way to stay on track and evaluate. It can also help you to see how far you have come.
Get support: Having a support system can be a great way to stay focused and ensure you have a positive mindset. Find someone who will hold you accountable and offer encouragement.
- Reward yourself: Celebrate your accomplishments! Rewarding yourself is a great way to stay motivated. Make sure your rewards are in line with your goals.
- Don’t give up: Slips and setbacks are normal. Don’t let them get in the way of your goals. Get back on track as soon as possible and don’t give up on yourself.
Setting and achieving your wellness goals can be a great way to improve your health and well-being.
By following these tips, you can set goals that are realistic, specific, and achievable.
I have re-capped the tips again for you.
- Set specific, measurable, achievable, relevant, and time-bound goals.
- Write down your goals and keep them in a place where you can see them every day.
- Create a plan of action with steps that you need to take to achieve your goals.
- Hold yourself accountable.
- Set a rewards system when you achieve your goal, this also helps with motivation and a positive mindset.